2011 © STRAWTEC Group AG
Marcel Breuer, 1902-1981,
who paved the way for wall systems made from compressed straw.
Photo: Polygoon Hollands Nieuws
STRAWTEC offers a lot of benefits for the economics of Rwanda: higher income, positive impact on balance of trade, reduction in affordable housing shortage, skills development and job creation -
and a positive investment environment.
Economic Benefits for Rwanda
- 1,000,000 USD p.a. to local straw supply chain
- 600,000 USD p.a. to factory staff
- 3,000,000 USD p.a. to construction workers
Positive impact on balance of trade
- Import substitution (i.e. cement, gypsum board)
- Export of construction material and design/
Reduction in affordable housing shortage
- One production line delivers enough panels to build
2,000 dwelling units of 50 sqm each year
- Turnkey construction costs well below 400 USD/sqm
can be achieved
- 1,000 TVET graduates and craftsmen to be trained
- 1,200 farmers have been trained
- 5,000 farming jobs to supply straw
- Transport jobs to transport raw material and
- 100 production staff
- Specialized architects and engineers
- 1,000 specialized construction jobs
STRAWTEC has created a local value chain from raw material supply to turnkey housing units leading to the following economic benefits:
Rwanda - Positive Investment Environment
STRAWTEC has a unique concept to establish local, self-sufficient manufacturing facilities to produce robust strawboard panels, which then serve as the primary building material for mass-housing and commercial construction projects. The innovative and easy-to-manage production technology employs local labour and locally grown, renewable resources.
STRAWTEC has identified Rwanda as the ideal entry point into the African market due to the sound leadership and effective economic reforms that have resulted in a positive investment environment, and the Government’s commitment to meeting future housing and construction demands.
- Rwanda is ranked third in Africa and 46nd in the world, in the World Bank’s
“Ease of Doing Business” indicator
- Rwanda demonstrates political and economic stability
- The East African Community as a regional export market has a population
of 145 million
- Implementation of the Green Growth and Climate Resilience Strategy
- Government support for Alternative Building Technologies (ABT’s)
- The Rwandan Development Board guides and supports investors
The establishment of STRAWTEC will ensure that Rwanda is at the forefront in Africa for construction using locally manufactured
sustainable, green building solutions.
PLEASE CALL US:
Rwanda: Tel: +250 (0) 786 486844